Sunday, January 24, 2010

Home is Where the Heart is

Walkin down the streets

Of Chi-Town City

To the left, to the right

All these different people around me

Which got me thinkin

Is Chi-Town really now my home to be?

Cuz you see

I have all these cultural prejudice

I fear myself cuz

I don’t even know how I came to this

I fear robbers, dealers, rapists, and killers

Poppin up in allies, in crime alerts

To no one’s surprise 95% reported are black

Then I start to think

Damn those perpetrators

Fillin up statistics to prove it’s explicit

The problem of the city has a color.

And it’s black

Home is where the heart is

Damn, how did I come thinking this?

Home is where the heart is

Who can save a sick heart like this?

Most people won’t even admit

But they too have thought it:

Blacks from the South

Pollutin’ our City with violence

Givin’ us fame as the number one state

In highest number of murders in the U.S.A.

Browns are cheap, and yes, they do cheat

Doin’ American jobs all the way from India

Managing Dunkin Donuts, Subways

Speak English, I can’t understand ya!

Yellows are all smart and nerdy

They always squinty cuz their eyes so chinky

Over-populating our suburbs cities

With extensive exclusivity

Latinos, all illegals

Ship ‘em back!

unless they good at mowing the lawn

or makin’ cheap clothes

Whites… (I had a harder time with this one)

Stupid blondes, stupid jocks

Privileged and unappreciative

Drunk hillbillies rednecks

Whites, yes, they’re the racists

STOP! That’s enough!

It’s time to reexamine

The roots of these misconceptions

Seeded in my home that manifests these perceptions

Home is where the heart is

My heart don’t wanna deal with this

Home is where the heart is

Shute, I don’t even know where my heart is!

You see, home ain’t a set location

It’s an environment we were raised up in

An environment that shapes our identity

Affects our thinking about our humanity

What we believe, how we perceive,

Why we act the way we do

It also shapes our attitudes

In an environment there are people

Parents, siblings, neighbors

Friends, teachers, pastors

Inspiring us, corrupting us

Into extraordinary or messed up people

In an environment there are spaces

Single houses with pools enclosed by fences

Lakefront Condos in Five Star High rises

Or trailer parks, cheap motels

Low-class apartments with cracked up stairwells

Temporary, packed-in, no room for luxury

What about…

Parks, schools with playgrounds and fields

Or gang infested lots, big guns, but no shields

Hmm…

Artopolus, Italian Village, Joyee’s, and Bennigan’s

Or McDonald’s, Burger King,

Only a dollar per person

These places create spaces

That make the environment we’re raised up in

Home is where the heart is

My heart was safe, like the ones enclosed by fences

Home is where the heart is

My heart was free, to play in the park

Without a worry for gang-affiliated violence

I grew up in a suburb

A quiet place of comfort

My high school was pretty diverse

I had friends of all different colors

Yes, there were still divisions

Assorted degrees of animosity

Within the student body

But nothing like what I see in the City

Chicago is Great!

One of the most diverse cities

The reason I came to UIC instead of Champaign

But it’s also one of the most segregated

Economically, racially

Extreme visibility

CTA transportation shows clear this city’s condition

Majority used by minorities

Charged even more for the City’s deficiencies

Further increasing economic inequality

Continuation, the history of segregation

This is Chi-City’s sick condition

Like the minds of many of its citizens

Stereotypes, prejudice

Never thought I was a racist

So why did I take in those deceptions?

Even unconsciously, unwillingly

Start believing them at times

When I came to the city

They popped up even more frequently in my mind

I can blame my environment

People, my parents

But ultimately…

Home is where the heart is

My heart, the seeds of these misconceptions

My heart, sickened with pride

Taking in lies

Constantly fed with non-sense information

My heart, stained by iniquity

This is the state of humanity

Home is where the heart is

Who can save a sick heart like this?

The answer is Jesus.

No comments: