Sunday, December 28, 2008

Daydream for a Passion

I watched an interview with the director of 'Cape 7' (a famous Taiwanese movie) this morning at 4am. I hadn't gone to bed yet. But as he was describing his passion for directing, how he was willing to put all of himself into it, I couldn't help but to think about what my passion is. I desire a career that I can be passionate about, just like him. Then, I think about pre-med. and whenever people asks me if I'm going into pre-med, I say im considering it. or jus maybe. as if pre-med is my "back-up." not something I'm pursuing with my whole heart. granted I'm only a freshmen and I don't have to know what I want to do with the rest of my life. But I don't like giving that half-assed answer. It bugs me. I want to be able to give a definate 'yes' or 'no.' The problem is I don't know what my passions are. but for one thing, I know I want to live passionately for Christ and glorification of God in every aspect of my life. That's not true in my life, yet. But I hope oneday I'll be closer. I'm reading this book by John Piper called Dont Waste Your Life and I'm hoping it will shed some light to how I am to live for the glory of God. I'm only on chapter 3, but I'm like liking it so far.

Anyway, I was daydreaming today about how I went on a journey around the world to find my passion. I traveled around doing odd jobs, from being a sailor, to fisherwoman, and then somehow becoming a chef training in a hactic kitchen in France. I went across Europe, but somehow (probably with the fishing boat) ended up in an impoverish area in Africa. I found myself in the middle of an attack. bombs exploding everywhere and bullets shooting at all directions. All of a sudden a surgeon ordered me to stich up a man's wound. He told me it was just like sewing clothes. and that's what I did the entire time. went around stiching people's wounds up. I remember after that, I went back to America, no Europe somewhere and applied to medical school, telling my story on the application. It would be awesome if it was real. I don't know. maybe that's the experience I'm gunna need to make me passionate about going pre-med. Or help me know that I definately don't. I think it'd be so cool if I do have an experience/encounter like that to help me know what I really want to do in life. I want to know life outside of Downers Grove, Chicago-land area, or even Taiwan. There's so much out there. I want to experience more in life. Haha. I want to take a bike trip around Taiwan on my own (my cousin did that). I want to travel from Europe all the down to South Africa, on my own. That'd be amazing. no, it'd be scary. I'm gunna plan a trip to Taiwan now. =)

No comments: