Saturday, December 13, 2008

I Almost Left for Mexico Today

Leo: I'm going to Mexico tomorrow, you wanna come?
Me: ... you serious?

This happened when my dad, aunt, and cousin Leo came to help me move out for winter break on Friday afternoon. By 3pm, the traffic was already backed up. Leo had actually asked me during Thanksgiving break, but I didn't think much about it. So, when he asked me again, I was like...um...no. But the funny thing was that my aunt and my dad kept urging me to go.

Dad: It will be a good experience.
Me: But Dad, I'm gunna be spending money going to 3 retreats, which will cost at least $200, I want to go on the Spring Break Missions trip, which will cost $400, AND I'm going back to Taiwan in May, and summer school and TAF!!
Dad: Don't worry about the cost. Money isn't the issue. It's an experience of a lifetime.
Me: How can I add another $500 trip to Mexico. That's way too much!
Dad: How about this, I'll pay for $200, your aunt will help you with $100, and you pay another $200.
Me: But I don't have any income! The money I spend is STILL YOURS!
Dad: It's not about the money, Sherry. It's the experience.

Interesting... I feel like I'm more concern about our family's financial situation than my dad is a lot of times. Or perhaps he just doesn't show it.

It's the experience. It seems like that's been my parents model for raising my sister and I. All the piano lessons, violin lessons, sports camps, TAF, throwing us onto airplanes by ourselves at 6yrs old, sending us to America to live with Uncle David. It's all for us to "gain experience." and man, am I thankful for that. I wouldn't be the versatile person that I am without those experiences.

But Mexico?? So sudden? I thought I was the one who would do random, sudden things, like go to Mexico for 2 weeks the day after school ended. But my dad was all for it, too. Maybe that's where I get my randomness from.

In the end, I decided not to go. I called Leo later that night to tell him. The reasons?... money, previous engagements, and rest. If I had gone, I would have came back the day before leaving to be a small group leader at Roger's Church's retreat, then straight to CCMC's retreat. If I am to serve as a small group leader, I want to give my full attention and energy. It would be irresponsible of me to go to Mexico, and come back all tired and unable to serve.

Yes, I probably passed up an experience of a life time... a three day road trip down to Mexico, traveling with a local, Juan, who's Leo's friend, and helping them build a church, even possible missions, and flying back home.

man... I still kinda wish I had gone.

1 comment:

Peter said...

that'd be strange. we're all back from college:

"hey where's sherry?"
"mexico."
".........huh?"